Writing and Humor

A collection of bits and pieces that should be of interest to writers, teahcers and parents. Emphasis is on humor, but there are also items involving family and general philosopy. Comments are welcome from anyone.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Strange Poems

There is more poetry in this blog than I intended, but I just ran across the following poems that favorites of my father, Joseph Walter Tippens (see link to the blog of that tile), and I felt it necessary to include them for this post. These items have been passed down through the years and I have no way of determining the source, but they are humorous and I felt appropriate for this blog site.

Midnight on the Ocean

It was midnight on the ocean,
Not a street car was in sight.
The sun was shining brightly
As it rained all day that night

It was a summer night in winter
And the rain was snowing fast
A barefoot boy with shoes on
Stood sitting on the grass.

It was evening and the rising sun
Was slowly setting in the west.
The fishes in the tree tops
Were awake sleeping in their nests.


Early in the Morning

It was early in the morning
In the middle of the night.
When two dead boys got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman hear the noise,
And came and killed the two dead boys.

I’m Fine

There is nothing whatever the matter with me.
I have arthritis in my back and knees.
And when I talk, I talk with a wheeze.
My pulse is weak, my blood is thin,
But I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.

My teeth eventually had to come out.
My diet I have to think about.
I’m overweight and I can’t get thin,
My appetite is sure to win;
But I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.

Arch supports I have for my feet.
Or I wouldn’t be able to go on the street.
Sleep is denied me night after night,
And every morning I’m a terrible sight.
My memory’s failing, my head’s in a spin,
But I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.

The moral of this as the tale is told
Is for those of us who are growing old
It’s better to say, “I’m fine!” with a grin
Than to let folks know the shape we’re in.

Me Love Done Gone

Me love done gone
Her did me dirt
Me did not know
Her was a flirt

To them who love
I would forbid
Lest they get doed
Like I been did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home